Sunday 24 March 2013

Life and Lemons


Lemon is my favorite citrus. I think it suffers from an undeserved bad reputation. You know how that quote goes. When life gives you lemons... But really, what is so bad about lemons? I love their bold yellow color. They are tart and proud of it. They do not hide behind superficial sweetness. So anyway, before this blog becomes a diatribe, let me get to the point. The question is, what does one do when she has an excess of lemons?

I bought a bag of lemons for the cupcakes I baked for our weekly office bake-off a week ago and was left with a surfeit of lemons. (The cupcakes, by the way, was a complete hit! :-) I'll share the recipe for the lemon cupcakes with a cream cheese based frosting next time)

How did I use thee? Let me count the ways:

I cut some into thin slices, placed them in my water containers and voila! Lemon water!

I used some to prepare a marinade for my beef chops.

And still I had about eight pieces of lemon left. I checked my pantry and there was flour, sugar, a surfeit of eggs--- all from the baking session I did for the office baking thing.

In the end, with less than an hour of arm work, this is what I did with half of my luscious left-over lemons:


I turned them into Lemon Squares.



Uncut, it looks like a tart,no? I don't have a square baking pan so I baked them in my tart pan instead.

I cut the lemon squares thirty minutes after I took them out of the oven. I know I should have left them alone longer but I needed to pack some to bring to a friend. You can see in the picture that the custard is still a bit too wet, but no worries, as it will firm up after an hour or two in the refrigerator.

This is the base recipe I used:

The Best Lemon Bars Recipe from allrecipes.com

I did tweak it and used four lemons (including the zest) plus I added salt in the cookie batter to give it a slight flavor counterpoint.

Note: Though these lemon bars are good immediately after they've cooled down, they are best after a couple of hours in the ref. The tart-creamy-sweet flavors become more developed and the custard's texture becomes firmer after a few hours of chilling.

So in case life gives you lemons, try making lemon squares! These are super easy to do and will take only an hour max. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!