Saturday 26 October 2013

Project Spic and Span and my Pukka Reward

Tonight, despite sore arms, dirty clothes and an utterly tired body, I am giddy with my accomplishment. Today, in a stroke of crazy determination, I cleaned, scrubbed and mopped every corner of my flat. I know my mother would be very proud and extremely surprised!

Growing up with parents who were both obsessed with cleanliness, l was that perennial test of their patience -- my study table was a mishmash of books, clothes, snacks and whatever "treasure" I have hidden there and soon forgotten. To escape tasks,  I read books, "studied" and sometimes played sick. I am the perfect  outlier to the belief that good habits are emulated by kids just by observing the oldies. When I grew older and discovered a knack for cooking and baking, it became my bargaining chip: I cook/bake, you do the cleaning.

But alas, now that I live alone, there is no escaping the dreaded task of cleaning! I have realized how  energy-draining it is to come home after a day's work to a disorganized flat, with unwashed plates, unmade bed and disorganized closets. We all want to live in a sweet-smelling, spic and span abode. But yes, sometimes laziness and busy lives lead us astray.

This weekend, I steeled myself to cleaning the house as thoroughly as possible. No, floor sweeping just wasn't enough. I swept, mopped the floors. Disinfected the kitchen, the ref, the washing. machine  and  closets. Scrubbed the grime off the bathroom walls and reorganized my cabinets' contents. I was amazed how therapeutic and comforting it was, scrubbing floors and throwing out stockpiles of papers and crap. It was really just the starting part that was a pain. Just like most worthy endeavors. 

My writing nook in the bedroom 
Now I understand my mother when she says that doing general cleaning is her therapy. Halfway through the day, ideas were rushing through my head. And thoughts and decisions that were troubling me days before are now clear. I am not yet 100% confident  but I am now convinced that a planned endeavor for 2014 has potential. Just like this weekend's spic and span project, I just need to push myself to start, and hopefully all things will fall into place.

-------------------

A whole day of cleaning means no energy for making a proper dinner or for going out.  But that's okay! As I rewarded myself with this:

 A Pukka Pie!

Pukka Pies are UK-made savory pies with a flakey, buttery crust and delicious creamy fillings. These are one of my favorite food memories from London. I was so happy to find these in the grocery yesterday. There are a few variants available --- cheese and onion, a beef pie, and even a sausage roll. But it is the traditional chicken mushroom that I love best. Mildly flavored with rosemary and utterly creamy, the chicken filling complements the buttery crust perfectly. 



The hot steaming pie pairs perfectly with a zero cal orange soda


   A crackly crust hides a delicious molten lava of  herby  cream and chicken chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!